Multicultural counseling techniques and behaviors have evolved as the counseling profession has evolved. From the original definition of multiculturalism to the application of theory to work with diverse clients, there has been continued evolution. This assignment will allow you to examine the history of the counseling profession so you can compare it to the current state of multicultural counseling, as well as become aware of your own personal viewpoints and biases.
Write a 525- to 700-word comparison of the history and current state of multicultural counseling in which you:
- Summarize significant historical changes in society that influenced multicultural counseling.
- Describe the implications of worldview, culture, ethnicity, prejudice, and privilege in counseling.
- Describe contemporary issues, such as the implications of a more diverse society, the effects of discrimination, and the availability of services for different populations. Include commentary on barriers to multicultural dialogue.
- Identify any personal biases you may have once had that stemmed from your worldview.
- Explain why multicultural standards for practice are important in professional counseling.